The Magnificent Seven: Legal Documents for Older Adults


June 13, 2024

Elder law attorney Virginia Hammerle discusses the seven basic documents for Estate Planning, including Will, Durable Power of Attorney, Medical Power of Attorney, HIPAA Release, Directive to Physicians, Designation of Guardian, Designation of Agent for Burial, followed by a brief discussion of when a trust is appropriate.

Additional resources:  

  • Legal Forms and Finding an Elder Law Attorney (Texas). For other states, do an internet search using keywords and the name of the state or community
  • FamilyCaregiversOnline funded by two area agencies on aging providing links, blogs, and lists of legal documents. 
  • You can also contact the local bar association for attorneys who may do pro-bono work.  
  • Area agencies on aging (AAA) – throughout the US. Federally and state funded organizations providing assistance to people age 60+ and their family caregivers. To find your AAA, easily find them through the Elder Care Locator  Area agencies on aging are usually able to refer someone to elder law or similar attorneys, but they will probably be at a fee.
  • Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC)-  Agencies working together to connect people looking for assistance.  
  • 2-1-1 – throughout the US, Connects people to community resources they may need. 
  • NAELA – Attorneys specially trained and experienced in elder law.  “Find the resources that matter when it comes to the legal needs of today’s aging population and persons of any age with a disability. Whether it be to those seeking the advice of an experienced elder or special needs law attorney or anyone serving this important community.

Learn more about Caregiver Teleconnection’s free monthly calls by visiting their website or calling toll free: 866-390-6491.

We hope this information is helpful to you in the important work you do as a family caregiver.
For more resources, subscribe to our free eNewsletter!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Related Posts