The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, CMS, is part of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). CMS serves the public as a trusted partner and steward, dedicated to advancing health equity, expanding coverage, and improving health outcomes.
Learn more: https://www.cms.gov/
Medicare is a federal health insurance program that pays for a variety of health care expenses. It's administered by the Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS), a division of the U.S. Department of Health Human Services (HHS). Medicare beneficiaries are typically senior citizens aged 65 and older.
- Medicare.gov Espanol
- Your Guide to Medicare Preventive Services
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Coverage
Learn more: https://www.medicare.gov/
Available only through the Medicare Rights Center, Medicare Interactive (MI) is a free and independent online reference tool thoughtfully designed to help older adults and people with disabilities navigate the complex world of health insurance.
Medicare Interactive addresses common topics, such as the following:
- Introduction to Medicare
- What Medicare covers
- Programs to help pay Medicare costs
- Rights and protections
- Also check out their Glossary of terms
Learn more: https://www.medicareinteractive.org/
The State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) provide local, in-depth, and objective insurance counseling and assistance to Medicare-eligible individuals, their families, and caregivers.
Questions SHIPs can answer:
- Considering making coverage changes during Medicare’s Annual Election Period (Open Enrollment)? Contact your SHIP for one-on-one assistance with reviewing health or prescription drug plan options.
- Worried about the out-of-pocket costs associated with Medicare? Contact your SHIP to find out about assistance programs you or your loved one might be eligible for.
- Unsure about Medicare’s eligibility criteria? SHIPs can help you understand the guidelines.
- Wondering what Medicare does and doesn’t cover? Medicare can be complicated. Contact your SHIP for answers.
- Confused about who pays first, Medicare or another insurance? SHIPs can explain how Medicare works with supplemental policies, retiree coverage, Medicaid, and other insurers.
- Uncertain of yours or your loved one's rights, under Medicare? Contact your SHIP for assistance.