The State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral & Information Service will help you find a lawyer or other resource that best matches your legal needs and financial means.
As the state’s top law enforcement officer, the Texas Attorney General leads more than 4,000 employees in 38 divisions and 117 offices around Texas. That includes nearly 750 attorneys, who handle more than 30,000 cases annually – enforcing child support orders, protecting Texans against consumer fraud, enforcing open government laws, responding to public information requests, providing legal advice to state officials, and representing the state of Texas in court, among other things.
The Legal Hotline for Texans answers questions free of charge in many areas of law, including but not limited to:
- Kincare - relatives raising minor children as parents
- Advance directives and power of attorney
- Guardianship - adult and minor guardianship
- Home ownership and real property issues
- Public benefits - TANF, SS, SNAP, SSDI, SSI, unemployment compensation, VA benefits, QIT
- Private landlord/tenant Issues (for the tenant)
- Economic security - age discrimination in employment, spousal maintenance (alimony), state and local income maintenance, other income maintenance
- Medicaid and Medicare appeals
- Consumer issues (bankruptcy and debtors rights)
- Foreclosure/eviction - mortgage foreclosures, mortgage predatory lending practices or other housing
- Long-term care - Medicaid/Medicare LTC, home & community, private health insurance for LTC, LTC facility issues, state & local health caregiver LTC
Persons eligible for services are Texans 60 years of age or older or Medicare recipients of any age who are calling about a Medicare matter.