Medicare is a federal health insurance program that pays for a variety of health care expenses. It's administered by the Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS), a division of the U.S. Department of Health Human Services (HHS). Medicare beneficiaries are typically senior citizens aged 65 and older.
- Medicare.gov Espanol
- Your Guide to Medicare Preventive Services
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Coverage
Learn more: https://www.medicare.gov/
Search by prescription discount information on the drugs you take. Some pharmaceutical companies offer assistance programs to help pay for medications for people enrolled in Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D).
The State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) provide local, in-depth, and objective insurance counseling and assistance to Medicare-eligible individuals, their families, and caregivers.
Questions SHIPs can answer:
- Considering making coverage changes during Medicare’s Annual Election Period (Open Enrollment)? Contact your SHIP for one-on-one assistance with reviewing health or prescription drug plan options.
- Worried about the out-of-pocket costs associated with Medicare? Contact your SHIP to find out about assistance programs you or your loved one might be eligible for.
- Unsure about Medicare’s eligibility criteria? SHIPs can help you understand the guidelines.
- Wondering what Medicare does and doesn’t cover? Medicare can be complicated. Contact your SHIP for answers.
- Confused about who pays first, Medicare or another insurance? SHIPs can explain how Medicare works with supplemental policies, retiree coverage, Medicaid, and other insurers.
- Uncertain of yours or your loved one's rights, under Medicare? Contact your SHIP for assistance.
The Texas Department of Insurance regulates the state’s insurance industry, oversees the administration of the Texas workers’ compensation system, performs the duties of the State Fire Marshal’s Office, and provides administrative support to the Office of Injured Employee Counsel – a separate agency.
Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provides health coverage for eligible low-income adults, children, pregnant women, elderly adults and people with disabilities. Medicaid is administered by states, according to federal requirements, funded jointly by states and the federal government.
Senior Medicare Patrols (SMPs) empower and assist Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud, errors, and abuse through outreach, counseling, and education. SMPs are grant-funded projects of the federal U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), U.S. Administration for Community Living (ACL).
- To report a Medicare scam or possible fraud in Texas call us at 1-888-341-6187