If you’re a veteran, you may be eligible for the Veterans Administration’s (VA) healthcare benefits, community-based home care, or disability pensions.
What is the Texas Veterans Commission?
The Texas Veterans Commission is a state government organization that provides assistance to all veterans regarding benefits at federal, state and county levels. For more information regarding types of services provided please visit the following website: https://www.tvc.texas.gov/ 
What housing resources are available for veterans?
The VA provides housing resources to veterans under the VASH voucher program. Veterans need to apply by calling the Fort Worth Office at 817-255-7150, this program is designed mainly for homeless veterans. The VA also provides financial assistance for housing modifications in order to assist veterans with certain disability needs.
What financial assistance is available for veterans?
VA provides financial assistance to veterans for any medical conditions verified as a service connected illness (meaning that veteran’s current medical condition was due to military service),
- Served during a Wartime Period at least one day.
- Did not receive a Dishonorable Discharge.
- Served more that 90 months during a wartime period before September 8, 1980/24 months afterwards, with at least 1 day during wartime.
- Veteran is at least 65 yrs old or has a permanent and total disability
For more information, please visit https://www.va.gov/pension/eligibility/ 
What is Operation Healthy Reunions?
Services provided by Operation Healthy Reunions include confidential mental health services; individual and family needs assessments; referrals to community resources; support groups; education; and advocacy.
To be eligible for this program:
- Be a returning Veteran of a foreign war
- Be a romantic partner, parent, grandparent, child, sibling, or individual, the Veteran considers his/her support system
- The Veteran mush have permanent residency in one of the following North Texas counties:
- Van Zandt
References: https://www.va.gov/, https://www.tvc.texas.gov/,and https://www.texvet.org Contributor: Fredo Jaimes, Veterans Benefits Advisor for the Texas Veterans Commission.
We hope this information is helpful to you in the important work you do as a family caregiver.
For more resources, subscribe to our free eNewsletter!