How many Americans serve as caregivers?
- Approximately 43.5 million caregivers have provided unpaid care to an adult or child in the last 12 months.
- About 34.2 million Americans have provided unpaid care to an adult age 50 or older in the last 12 months.
- The majority of caregivers (82%) care for one other adult, while 15% care for 2 adults, and 3% for 3 or more adults.
- Approximately 39.8 million caregivers provide care to adults (aged 18+) with a disability or illness or 16.6% of Americans.
- About 15.7 million adult family caregivers care for someone who has Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia.
- Caregivers who report performing medical and nursing tasks. 46% 46%
- Caregivers who provide help with activities of daily living (ADLs) 96% 96%