Being a family caregiver is one of the toughest jobs you will ever do. Here are 10 tried-and-true tips to help you on your journey.
- Seek support from other caregivers. You are not alone!
- Take care of your own health so you can take care of your loved one.
- Accept offers of help and suggest specific things people can do to help you.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with medical professionals.
- Be open to new technologies that can help you care for your loved one.
- Explore Assistive Devices
- Watch for signs of depression and get professional help when needed.
- Caregiving is hard work, so take respite breaks often.
- Explore Respite for Caregivers
- Organize medical information so it’s up to date and easy to find.
- Make sure your loved one’s legal documents are in order and accessible.
- Explore Legal Issues for Caregivers
- Give yourself credit for doing the best you can in one of the toughest jobs there is!
Source: Caregiver Action Network.
Download the Caregiver Action Network’s Spanish Language version of this list 10 Consejos para personas que cuidan de un familar con una enfermedad cronica, incapacitado, o de evad avanzada.
We hope this information is helpful to you in the important work you do as a family caregiver.
For more resources, subscribe to our free eNewsletter!